Friday 29 July 2011

The Gift Dilemma

So as the month of August rolls around i have started to think about TP's Birthday...granted it isn't until the end of the August, but i have kind of planned to get something from ETSY and so will probably have to think ahead.
 I never really know what to buy for men, with girls i usually have a go to gift if i can't think of something a little more personal, but with the opposite sex i am at a loss.
 Also it's his 30th so i can't exactly be like "oh i love you...here is a card i drew and breakfast i made" it has to be something significant or at least something that will last past breakfast time...

So yesterday i made a list of things my boyfriend likes...

  • Steelbooks (has tons, very expensive and he could well buy the same film before his birthday rendering my gift useless)
  • History/The vikings (i thought about getting him a book but he doesn't read all that often and it would probably just get left unread)
  • Music (his taste is techno and frankly i would rather avoid listening to that at all cost, love of my life or not i shan't be endorsing any more playing of that then is necessary)
  • Whiskey, now this is a good one but i know his friends will buy him a bottle for sure.
And the list went on and on (well actually that was about it, as i am a crappy girlfriend and apparently don't know what my boyfriend is really into :/ )  But then i had a brain wave! the lightbulb popped on and my eyes were opened...yes it was that epic!

Maaybe i should get him something Whiskey related but that will last and always remind him of what a wonderful and thoughtful girlfriend i am...so i trawled through Etsy's 42 Whiskey related pages and came up with some of my favourite options... Here they are...





What do you think? at the moment my favourite choices are 2 or 4 because we are moving into a new apartment soon and they would look pretty nice on the walls, as would 1 or 8. Or maybe i could get him a set of glasses with the coasters. I am just not sure..

Also do you have any other ideas for birthday gifts suitable for men? do you have a go to gift when you can't think of something a little more personal??  .answers on a postcard please (or even better in the comments box) ;)


10 comments:

Tracy said...

Very fun whiskey-related gifts! I like the glasses--the mustache ones are very fun. Men are so difficult to get gifts for, I quite agree. My husband & I have stopped doing birthday & Christmas gifts. We do a dinner-date evening out instead, or go to a place we love. We have so much "stuff" we really don't need more. And we have each other, so gift enough. :o) Happy Weekend, Selina!

Saga Eivor said...

nr 4... it will be his new drinking saying

Saga Eivor said...

I would have given him a drinking horn or one of those big mead "cups", u can get a lot of whiskey in them XD

Jenna said...

I think number 4 is super cool and would look good hanging above a little 'bar' table. Go for that one! I would get him a set of glasses to go with it and also compliment the multiple bottles he will get from the guys.

Selina. said...

I have definitely been leaning towards number 4 as well because the colours are subtle so it will look good on our walls :)

also pixie i mentioned the drinking horn subtly and he got well excited so i might have to search for one of them ;)

Erica said...

Thank you so much for including my coasters! There are so many other great whiskey ideas, fabulous!

Lauren said...

I vote for the glassess...cute, funny, and actually usable by a man--the decor things are the kind of thing that my husband would say are a present for me. :)

Selina. said...

haha Lauren you are right, i am worried he will think that but i am also hoping that it will placate him a little while i decorate the rest of our apartment mostly to my taste :P need to do some sneaky checking with his friends about the glasses because i have a feeling they will buy him something similar :P

Hot Pink Combat Boots said...

I would go with 1 and 7, along with a bottle of whiskey. Step AWAY from the whiskey soap.......

My go to male gift is an assortment of alcohol minis and lottery tickets. Its always a crowd pleaser.

Saga Eivor said...

dank side som har drikkehorn
http://www.odins.dk/

i tinn
http://www.tinnprodukter-bergen.no/shop.asp?p=6552648
hvordan lage ditt eget drikkehorn av oskehorn
http://www.vikingwiki.net/drikkehorn.php

bare et raskt ikke så detaljert søk, men hvis jeg ikke tar helt feil så finnes det en viking by ikke så alt for langt ifra Bergen, de burde jo selge noe sånt, eller i det minste en kul mjød kopp :D