Wednesday 10 April 2013

Eating Clean - Homemade Vanilla Almond Milk






I have seen so many different posts floating around Tumblr and Pinterest on how to make your own almond milk, but honestly I have never been a big milk drinker so I always just scrolled past and didn't pay a great deal of attention

But then this weekend I was suddenly hit with the desire to try almond milk and seeing as I had a bunch of almonds in my cupboard  thought why not.

I didn't use a specific recipe to do this I just went with what I remembered from the posts I'd seen, so here's how I made it.



I soaked about a cup of raw almonds in a cup and a half of water overnight in the fridge.
note, in most of the recipes it says to use filtered water, but the water in Norway is pretty clean so I just used tap water.

The next morning I threw the nuts and the water into the blender.
Okay, so since going back and looking at some of the recipes I did notice that it says to replace the water with new water, which I didn't do but mine turned out fine so I figure it's not biggie, and when I do my next batch I will use clean water to see if it really does make a difference.


Then you blend it all up on a high speed.


I blended it until I couldn't really see many brown flecks from the skins.

Then I used some clean thin cotton material  to squeeze out the almond milk into a Kilner jar
Most recipes recommend using muslin or a nut bag (hehe)


Be prepared this can be a messy job, I probably should have put down a tea towel first because I had almond milk everywhere!!

Once that Is done you are left with a jar full of yummy, creamy almond milk and a cloth full of almond mush, which can be used if you want, but I just binned mine seeing as all of the nutrients are in the milk anyways.


To make mine vanilla flavoured, I used half a vanilla pod, and scraped out the seeds into the milk, before letting the pod steep in the milk, to give it an extra luscious vanillery flavour.

There are so many yummy thing you could  flavour the milk with, I want to try cardamomme, cinnamon, dates, agave and honey.

YUM!!



Almond milk has a TON of health benefits and it's so easy to make. 
if you want to read more about the amazingness of almond milk you could have a look at some of these great websites.








3 comments:

Unknown said...

This makes me wanna try making my own now too!!

Great post!

Sarah| Beauty and Lemonade xo

Katie Matthews said...

I'm not a huge milk drinker at all. Would you recommend it to someone like me? Great posts, and I love your pictures!

Selina. said...

Yes definitely! I'm not a milk drinker at all so I don't really drink this on its own anyways but I use it in smoothies and its amazing! And in coffee too :)